Monday, September 21, 2009

But I don't wanna prick my finger...

A week or so ago I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I took it kinda hard and blamed myself. Turns out, it wasn't really anything that I could help. I had my Diabetic Education appointment this morning and it wasn't that bad.  There were 2 parts I was dreading the most. 1 being possibly having to give myself insulin injections and 2. having to prick my finger to check my blood sugar level. I was relieved when she told me that had my level been higher, she would have put me on insulin. And the finger pricking? Not bad at all. Not nearly as bad as I had ever imagined. I wouldn't even say it "hurts". I was proud of myself for doing it though. I hate needles!

This counting 'carbs' thing sucks though. I know it's healthy for my baby and myself but ... it sucks. I am somewhat confused with how it completely works yet, but I think I will get the hang of it within a couple of days here. I definitely miss the sweets, but I can still allow myself to have a few here and there, counting them of course. :-P

I kind of feel like I was mis-diagnosed a little bit. And I sort of feel like they are jumping the gun on my 'condition' as well. I took the 1-hr glucose screen about a week and a half ago. I was never told not to eat anything beforehand or anything like that, so I went ahead and had a bagel with cream cheese and OJ. Well, needless to say, seems like a bagel is one of the worst things you can eat. And OJ isn't good either. I wish I hadn't eaten those things and maybe I wouldn't be in this uncomfortable boat. :-P  I didn't even get to take the 3-hr screening b/c my # was so high, they just automatically pronounced me diabetic. Ugh.

Anyway, I get to prick myself in another 10 minutes here. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i ♥ comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...